What Restaurant Insurance is needed?

If you own a restaurant you will know that there are a lot of insurances you may need, to protect yourself, your building and your staff from unexpected claims, damages and sometimes even losses.

Normally restaurants always have expensive kitchen equipment that essentially needs to be protected so that your restaurant business is able to run smoothly in case of damage or theft. You will also have food and furniture that you would like to protect. Any sort of event that may cause a disruption to your trading may be damaging to your reputation, especially to your customers, due to your unavailability.

So what insurance do you need when running a restaurant business? There are several different types of restaurant insurance that will help protect your restaurant…

Public liability insurance:

When running a restaurant that is open to the public, it is vital that you take public liability insurance out – you never know when you will receive a claim against you. Wherever food and drinks (especially alcoholic beverages) are, there will always be claims against food poisoning, as well as potential slips and falls which could leave you with large legal costs if you don’t have public liability insurance.

Contents and Buildings insurance:

Simplified, contents insurance covers you against your restaurant contents in case of an event of a fire, flood, theft or general damage. The good thing about contents insurance for restaurants is that it can also cover your larger kitchen items such as your fridge, freezer and fryers – which could be costly to replace if you don’t have contents insurance cover! You can sometimes even get insurance that can cover you against any cash within the building.

Buildings insurance is usually only necessary if you own your building. Make sure you check out the different competitions [confused???]  for the best price on buildings insurance as some insurance brokers offer different protection. Contact us to find out what we can do for your building insurance.

Employer’s liability insurance:

Employer’s Liability Insurance is a legal requirement if you hire any employees. This includes any part-time and subcontracted employees. This covers you against any claims that may arise from illness, injury at work and even unfair dismal of your employee, as a result of working for you. Remember, if you don’t have this cover you can be fined up to £2,500 a day!

Business interruption insurance:

Business interruption insurance can help you to cover any loss of earnings, due to your business being closed for a period of time. This can be down to a number of situations and relates back to insurance covers such as buildings insurance. It times of crisis, you don’t want to be focusing on making sure your insurance covers you for any interruptions to trading, make sure you have business interruption insurance as soon as you can!

You’ll need to consider what cover is required to protect against claims from members of the public in your restaurant. If you’re unsure, make sure to ring your insurance broker and they will be able to help you.

Contact Us

Whether you already run or have a restaurant, or you are thinking of starting one up, at Todd and Cue we know all about restaurant insurance and we would love to be able to talk to you about any of your queries. Contact us today on 0191 482 0050 or emailing us at info@toddcue.com.


Contact Us

Todd & Cue has grown consistently over the years, primarily through client recommendation, to become one of the UK’s leading independent insurance brokers and risk managers. Total client focus, with excellence in all aspects of service coupled with our growing buying power ensures that you will receive competitive insurance premiums and a true value for money service resulting in a complete and cost effective package.

Contact Us