What you should know about insurance for restaurants

Sorting out restaurant insurance is one of the most important steps to take when opening a restaurant. It is crucial to take some time to get yourself familiar with all the different types of restaurant insurance before you delve into all the more exciting tasks when opening your restaurant.  

In the food industry there are many different problems that you could face, therefore being prepared for them in any way you can is essential. Here at Todd & Cue, we can help you understand what type of restaurant insurance may need, and advise you on which type of cover would suit your needs and requirements.

Common types of restaurant insurance

There are many different types of insurance policies to consider and research before deciding which one is best for your restaurant. Here is a list of some of the more common types of restaurant insurance:

General Liability Insurance

General liability insurance is needed in case any person is harmed in your restaurant, even if your staff aren’t to blame you will still want to be protected by liability insurance.  

Commercial Property Insurance

This type of insurance is important if you’re looking into protecting your restaurant specifically from property damage such as vandalism, smoke damage or wind storms.

Fire Insurance

It is vital your restaurant is covered by fire insurance because of the type of industry it is in. You should consider the risks involved in any business venture, and in this case, fire is a massive one for any restaurant.

What factors could affect the price of your restaurant insurance?

Insurance policies for restaurants are normally tailored to your specific needs and requirements. However, there are some general factors that could affect the price you’re being quoted. Some of them to consider are:

  • The location of your restaurant
  • The type of property it is
  • Your opening and operation hours
  • The proportion of alcohol sales
  • How many years you have been in business
  • Lease requirements


What our restaurant insurance includes

At Todd & Cue we always aim to include the most detailed and up to date insurance policies to fit your business.

Our premiums include:

  • Buildings
  • Trade content
  • Frozen foods
  • Goods in transit
  • ‘All-Risks’
  • Loss of license
  • Household contents
  • Personal accident
  • Equipment breakdown


Depending on your circumstances, you might find that the standard types of insurance policies don’t completely meet your needs. However, we can tailor your insurance policy for just about any type of circumstance. If you would like to speak to a member of our team then don’t hesitate to contact us for more information, or you can get a quote today.  

Todd & Cue has grown consistently over the years, primarily through client recommendation, to become one of the UK’s leading independent insurance brokers and risk managers. Total client focus, with excellence in all aspects of service coupled with our growing buying power ensures that you will receive competitive insurance premiums and a true value for money service resulting in a complete and cost effective package.

Contact Us