Pub Insurance – What you need to know

Whether you run a gastro-pub or a late night, live music venue, there is one similarity – running a pub can be hard! There are a lot of challenges that come with being your own boss when you own and run a pub, as not only do you have to run the pub smoothly, you also need to focus on finances, staffing and general pub enquiries. During all of this, it can sometimes be hard to focus on the main essentials, such as pub insurance.

When it comes to pub insurance if you don’t protect yourself effectively you could find yourself facing large fines, as well as legal bills. At Todd and Cue, we know a lot when it comes to pub insurance and how to make sure you get the correct pub insurance for your needs. Read our guide and see which type of insurance we recommend you look into.

Public liability insurance

Slips, trips and falls are all common hazards when it comes to pubs, which is all down to being around constant flows of drinks. This situation can become a larger hazard when it comes to alcohol drinks alongside dancefloors. Due to this, we urge you to look into Public Liability Insurance. Public Liability Insurance is essential for all licensed premises, this protects you against claims due to injury or loss. It’s worth noting, that if you have a dancefloor you will need to look into insurance to cover this specifically.

Things to note when looking for insurance:

  • If you have a dancefloor you will need specific insurance to cover this, you can’t just have this connected to your regular public liability insurance 
  • If you have a children’s playground you will also need to mention this to your insurance, just so you have the correct cover for this. It could end out disastrous if you don’t have any cover and you have a claim made against you.  
  • Public Liability Insurance can also cover you against claims from products that you sell and supply. This means it covers you against any potential food poisoning claims.  
  • Suing you has become easier than ever and everyone wants to make a claim against any small inconvenience, make sure to protect yourself!


Contents and building insurance

When it comes to contents and building insurance, you want to always make sure you are not under-insured. This could cause you to lose out on a lot of your items being replaced if you have a fire, flood or you have a break-in. Building insurance is only necessary if you own your building. It can sometimes be hard to ensure a pub if it is close to dangerous areas such as a river, main roads and cliffs. It can also be hard if your pub has a thatched roof. At Todd and Cue, we will be able to help you check and see what sort of insurance you can get. The better your broker the better your experience.

Employer’s liability insurance

Employer’s Liability Insurance is crucial when you run a business, especially if you employ staff members – even if they are part-time or subcontracted. It is actually a legal requirement to have Employer’s Liability Insurance and if you don’t have it you may be fined up to £2,500 a day! What it does is, it protects you against any claims that have risen from things such as injury at work and even unfair dismal from your employers.

Events insurance

Does your pub regularly run events? This could be anything from a small event to a gig or even a beer or gin festival. When it comes to Events Insurance it is important to check if this is already covered by your Public Liability Insurance or not. To find out just contact your insurer directly and they will inform you of this information as soon as possible. If you do run an event and you aren’t fully protected, this could leave you when a large fine, as well as a fair few claims against yourself.

Contact Us

Whether you already have a pub, or you are thinking of starting one up, at Todd and Cue we know all about pub insurance and we would love to be able to talk to you about any of your queries. Contact us today on 0191 482 0050 or email us at


Contact Us

Todd & Cue has grown consistently over the years, primarily through client recommendation, to become one of the UK’s leading independent insurance brokers and risk managers. Total client focus, with excellence in all aspects of service coupled with our growing buying power ensures that you will receive competitive insurance premiums and a true value for money service resulting in a complete and cost effective package.

Contact Us